- Menstrual problem and Uterine disorders are very common today.
- Females without any one of such problems is very rare nowadays.
- Primary and secondary amenorrhea,Female Infertility,Hirsutism, chronic an-ovulation ,PCOD,Endometriosis and adenomyosis,Sexually Transmitted Infections,Benign and malignant tumors of genital tract, genital prolapse,menopausal disturbances are some among them.
- In most instances these problems need not to be treated.
- But it should be investigated carefully to rule out whether it needs medical attention.
- Ovarian cyst is one among them which need medical care.
What is Ovary?
- Ovaries are egg or Ovum producing reproductive organ present in females.
- Ovaries in females are homologous to testes in males.
- The term 'GONADS' refers to Ovaries in females and testes in males.
- It measure approximately 3 cm x 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm. Pair of Ovaries are located on each side of the Uterus.
What is Ovarian Cyst?
- An ovarian cyst is any collection of fluid, surrounded by a very thin wall, within an ovary.
- Any ovarian follicle that is larger than about two centimeters is termed an ovarian cyst.
- The size of Ovarian cyst may differ small to big.
- Most ovarian cysts are functional in nature, and harmless.Some ovarian cysts cause problems, such as bleeding and pain.
- Ovarian cysts larger than 5 cm diameter are advised to remove surgically by Gynaecologists.
Types of cysts:
- Ovarian cysts can be categorized as non-cancerous or cancerous growths.
- All of the following conditions are noncancerous, A woman may develop one or more of them.
1.Follicular cyst: One type of simple cyst, which is the most common type of ovarian cyst,This type can form when ovulation doesn't occur, and a follicle doesn't rupture or release its egg but instead grows until it becomes a cyst, or when a mature follicle involute (collapses on itself).
2.Corpus lutetium cyst: One type of simple cyst, which is the most common type of ovarian cyst.This type of functional cyst occurs after an egg has been released from a follicle. The follicle then becomes a secretory gland that is known as the corpus luteum.
3.Hemorrhagic cyst: which is also called a blood cyst, hematocele, and hematocyst
4.Dermoid cyst: This is an abnormal cyst that usually affects younger women and may grow to 6 inches in diameter. It is a type of benign tumor sometimes referred to as mature cystic teratoma.
5.Endometrioid cyst or Chocolate cyst,Endometrial cyst, or chocolate cyst is caused by endometriosis, and formed when a tiny patch of endometrial tissue (the mucous membrane that makes up the inner layer of the uterus)
6.Poly cystic-appearing ovary:Poly cystic-appearing ovary is diagnosed based on its enlarged size - usually twice that of normal - with small cysts present around the outside of the ovary. This condition can be found in "normal" women, and in women with endocrine disorder.
- Oral contraceptive/birth control pill use decreases the risk of developing ovarian cysts because they prevent the ovaries from producing eggs during ovulation.
The following are possible risk factors for developing ovarian cysts:
- History of previous ovarian cysts Menstrual irregulations.
- Fatty upper body
- Early menstruation (11 years or younger)
- Hypothyroidism or hormonal imbalance.
- Anti Cancer treatment for Breast.
- Usually ovarian cysts do not produce any symptoms and are found during a routine physical examination.
- However,some or all of the following symptoms may be present,Dull aching, or severe, sudden, and sharp pain or discomfort in the lower abdomen (one or both sides),
- Constant or intermittent pain in the pelvis, vagina, lower back, or thighs
- Most common symptom Fullness, heaviness, pressure, swelling, or bloating in the abdomen
- Breast tenderness Pain during or shortly after beginning or end of menstrual period.
- Irregular periods, or abnormal uterine bleeding or spotting
- Urination difficulties (such as inability to fully empty the bladder),
- Difficulty with bowel movements due to pressure effect rectum or large Bowell.
- Weight gain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Increased level of hair growth.
- Increased facial hair or body hair
- Endovaginal ultrasoundOther imaging.
- CT and MRI scanning
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Serum CA-125 assay (Diagnostic test for Ovarian Cancer)
- Hormone levels (LH, FSH, estradiol, and testosterone levels)
- Pregnancy test.
- About 95% of ovarian cysts are benign, mean they are not cancerous.
- Treatment for cysts depends on the size of the cyst and symptoms.
- For small, asymptomatic cysts, the wait and see approach with regular check-ups can be advised.
- Pain caused by ovarian cysts may be treated with-pain relievers, including acetaminophen, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ,or narcotic pain medicine.
- A warm bath, or heating pad, or hot water bottle applied to the lower abdomen near the ovaries can relax tense muscles and relieve cramping,
- chamomile herbal tea can reduce ovarian cyst pain and soothe tense muscles,urinating as soon as the urge presents itself.
- Avoiding constipation, which does not cause ovarian cysts but may further increase pelvic discomfort.
- In diet, eliminating caffeine and alcohol, reducing sugars, increasing foods rich in vitamin A and carotenoids (e.g., carrots, tomatoes, and salad greens) and B vitamins Combined methods of hormonal contraception such as the combined oral contraceptive pill
- I am treating Ovarian cyst patients with specially made Siddha medicines.
- Siddha medicine gives excellent reuslts in treating female disorders including ovarian cysts, PCOS. fibroid uterus , female infertility ,and irregular menstrual periods including ammenorhoea.
- The success rate for Ovarian cyst patients in our Siddha treatment is more than 90%.
- Usually the patients who seek Siddha treatment are mostly suggested for Surgical correction by relevent experts.
- Many patients do Hysterectomy + oophorectomy as per the suggestion of their Gynaecologist that they need a rapid and effective treatment for the same.
- Though this is neither a malignant disorder nor a life threatening one -many patients seek alternate medicine including Siddha system of medicine.
- Before treating the patient the exact condition is thoroughly analysed by relevant investigations.
- The treatment procedures are clearly explained to the patients and their family members in detail.
- Though Siddha medicine is not only in the form of tablets and capsules, it is however necessary to convey the patients about the form of medicine for their convenience.
- Most probably a period of 3 months will be needed to treat an Ovarian cyst patient with regular cycle and more in irregular cycle patients.
- Many different steps are there in treating Ovarian cyst patients according to their individual condition.
- The clinical symptoms like pain in the abdomen and fullness in the abdomen will go away in the very first 15 days and the patient feels a light and good feeling in the very first month itself.
- The patient gets almost a normal menstrual flow during the course of treatment.
- Majority of the patients get a brownish black vaginal discharge during treatment which indicates a positive sign of treatment.
- The Ultra sound scanning report before and after treatment are documented in all of the patients.
- The patients are free from their drastic Ovarian cysts in a very little period of 3 -6 months and also relieved from many internal problems.
- All the patients get improvement in their uterus size that the enlarged and abnormal size come down to minimum size after trearment.