- Urticaria is a skin condition, commonly caused by an allergic reaction, that is characterized by raised red skin welts.
- Urticaria can appear anywhere on the body, including the face, lips, tongue, throat, and ears.
- It may vary in size from about 5 mm (0.2 inches) in diameter to the size of a dinner plate.
- There will be Itching and burning in the affected regions.
- Urticaria is generally caused by direct contact with an allergenic substance[allergy due to insects exposure] or an immune response to food or some other allergen.
- Emotional stress increases the risk of urticarial lesions.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING URTICARIAL ATTACK:
- The skin lesions of urticarial disease are caused by an inflammatory reaction in the skin, causing leakage of capillaries in the skin layer causing oedema.
- The oedema is lasting until the interstitial fluid is absorbed into the surrounding cells.
- Urticarial disease is thought to be caused by the release of histamine and other mediators of inflammation (cytokines) from cells in the skin.
- Tomatoes, strawberries, strong cheese,dark fish,dry fish,chicken and fermented foods directly affect this problem.
- Although these 'pseudo-allergens' aren't the primary cause of urticaria, they do tend to aggravate it.
- Viral infections aggravate urticarial attack also initiate in some instances.
- Anxiety and tension also aggravate urticaria some times.
- In more serious cases when swelling occurs inside the mouth or throat, complications can include difficulty breathing leading to a loss of consciousness.
- Severe urticaria may be noticed in ''ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK'' which is a serious allergic reaction involving the heart or lungs.
- In such condition,bronchial tubes become narrow causing difficult to breath.Blood pressure drops causing dizziness,loss of consciousness or even death. Anaphylactic shock occurs rapidly, and requires immediate medical care.
URTICARIA TREATMENT IN MODERN MEDICINE:
- Skin specialists say that treating urticaria is difficult.Treatment procedure include
1.Avoiding known allergens
3.Anti pruritic preparations
MY PERSONAL VIEW:
- Urticaria cases are common in my clinical practice.
- When a patient come to my clinic, I use to explain about the disease and also about the treatment options to the patient.
- If necessary I use to send the patient to a proper dermatologist.Usually patients who seek Siddha medicine for urticaria have a long history of previous medication.
- Most of the patients are resistant to anti-allergic drugs and even some of them resistant to corticosteroids.
- "Speedy recovery" will be the expectation of each and every patient...no doubt.
- New urticaria patients usually not co-operating with Siddha physician because they expect complete cure within few days.
- They don't know about the seriousness of the disease and the line of treatment.
- Not like that,"chronic patients" who have previous experience in treatment, co-operate fully with siddha physician.
The line of treatment for urticaria include 3 steps.
1.Clearing Gastro Intestinal Tract with mild herbal laxatives and vermifuge.
2.Internal medicine for severe allergic reactions which contain purified sulphur and minarals.
3.Siddha Blood Purifiers to prevent recurrence which are mostly herbals for a long maintenance dose.
"Siddha cure is excellent in CHRONIC URTICARIA and I can say with confidence that 'URTICARIA' CAN BE SAFELY MANAGED IN SIDDHA MEDICINE WITH SUCCESS...!!!"