SCIATIC NERVE-A VIEW
- Low back pain is a common problem among people.
- Majority of the sufferers usually seek 'PAIN CLINICS' for relief.
- But it should be noticed if the pain radiates to the leg.
- It may be SCIATICA.
WHAT IS SCIATICA?
- Sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and controls the muscles of the back of thigh, knee and lower leg and provides sensation.
- Sciatica is a form of peripheral neuropathy with symptoms associated with low back pain with shooting pain down the leg.
- Sciatica is a set of symptoms including pain or irritation of one of five nerve roots that give rise to the sciatic nerve.
- The pain is felt in the lower back, buttock, back of thigh,back of knee joint (popleteal area),back side of leg up to heel and foot.In addition to pain,there may be numbness, muscular weakness, and difficulty in moving or controlling the leg.
- Sciatic pain symptoms are felt only on one side of the body.
- The treatment for sciatica or sciatic symptoms will often be different, depending upon the underlying cause of the symptoms.
WHAT IS THE CAUSE FOR PAIN ?
- Compression of the sciatic nerve causes pain.
- Depending upon the severity of nerve compression,symptoms occur-sometimes causing permanent damage to the nerve.
- Sciatica is generally caused by the compression of lumbar nerves L4 or L5 or sacral nerves S1, S2 or S3.
- The usual causes are direct trauma such as injection injury,fractures of the pelvis, gunshot wounds, or other trauma to the buttocks or thigh.
- prolonged external pressure on the nerve, and pressure on the nerve from nearby body structures.
- Prolonged sitting or lying with pressure on the buttocks may also injure it.
- Systemic diseases, such as diabetes, can typically damage sciatic nerve.
- Pressure from masses such as a tumor or abscess nearby the nerve may also cause harm to sciatic nerve.
- Leading causes for Sciatica are Lumbar Bulging or Herniated Disc,Lumbar Spinal stenosis,Piriformis syndrome,Sacroilia joint dysfunction,Spondylolisthesis.Spinal tumours.
These tests include:
- Spinal X-ray,
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI),
- Computerised tomography(CT-scan)
- sciatica can potentially cause permanent nerve damage.
- Depending on what's causing the nerve to be compressed, other complications may occur, including Loss of feeling in the affected leg Loss of movement in the affected leg Loss of bowel or bladder function
- Most of the sciatic cases respond to "self care measures" such as hot packs,stretching, exercise and pain relievers.
Beyond this self-care measures the following procedures also employed.
1.Prescription drugs:Anti-inflammatory medication along with a muscle relaxant,Narcotics,Tricyclic antidepressants and anti-convulsant drugs are being used for pain relief.
2.Physical therapy:Rehabilitation therapy typically includes exercises to help correct the posture, strengthen the muscles supporting our back and improve our flexibility.
3.Epidural Steroid Injection:It is used for resistant cases also in some sports injuries.
This is originated from China and used to relieve pain by stimulating certain vital points in the body with it's specific needle.
5.Yoga therapy:Some postures in Yoga give special effects to the sciatic pain also minimise recurrance.
It is carried out in significant progressive weakness,and incontinence of the bowel & urine or failure with other treatments.
7.Medical cannabis to control pain: This is use of the Cannabis sativa plant as a physician-recommended herbal therapy. So far, the medical use of cannabis is legal only in a limited number of territories, including Canada, Belgium, Australia, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Spain, and some U.S. states.
IN SIDDHA SYSTEM OF MEDICINE:
In Siddha system,spinal disorders and Sciatica related problems are dealt in "VATHA DISEASES"
The following 2 types of "VATHA" diseases correlate with Sciatic problem.
1.Asuva thamba vatham
These are described in "YUGI VAIDHYA CHINTHAMANI" by "YUGI SIDDHAR" clearly.
- Vatha diseases or Rheumatic diseases are treated initially with laxatives and the internal medicine is then administered.
- Some specialised medicines are being used for this laxative procedures which are also direct medicine for painful conditions.
- Both internal and external medicines are used for Spinal diseases as well as Sciatica.
- Massage with medicated oil which is a part of "THOKKANAM" is employed for Sciatica with very good results.
- Other "THOKKANAM" method "TRACTION" is even now employed by the modern physiotherapist in the name of ELECTRONIC TRACTION.
- Treatment is given as per the physical condition and severity of individual patients.
MY EXPERIENCE IN SPINAL DISEASES:
- I am practicing Siddha medicine for 13 years, immediately after completing UG degree course.
- I am confident with spinal disorders and it's treatment methods in Siddha system through late.Dr.D.Gnanadhas,BIM,MD [s/o.Late.Vaidhyar.DevasahayamAsan-Kattukadai,Kanyakumari District] during after my 4th year BSMS studies.
- He taught me the fruitful fact- "SPINAL DISORDERS ARE TREATABLE IN SIDDHA SYSTEM SUCCESSFULLY" if the patient co-operate fully.
- He proved it in thousands of spinal patients at his hospital.
- I got the chance to be with him for a period-the golden period.
- With that confidence,I have started treating spinal cases such as Sagana vatham (Cervical spondylosis),Thandaga vatham (Lumbar spondylosis),Perasana Narambu Thabitham (Sciatica),Lumbo-sacral strain,Disc prolapse,Degenerative diseases including Vertibral Basilar Insufficiency (VBI) with specially prepared Siddha medicines.
- Except a few patients,most of them got excellent results within a short period.
- I am really proud to say, that Siddha medicine is a reliable source for spinal diseases.